We at Steppin' Out would like to send a huge thank you to our community for being so amazing during out new registration process. We know there were a lot of changes this year, some of which we weren't ourselves aware of till the last minute, but you handled them like champs. Thank you!
We're thrilled that we'll be seeing all of you at the studio very soon. Classes begin Tuesday, September 6th. We know you likely have a lot of questions, so please read on for more information:
WAITING LIST & OPEN CLASSES
Looking for a new class? On the waiting list? Here is a list of classes that currently have at least one spot--please spread the word--and if you are on the waiting list for a class that becomes open, we will contact you immediately.
- Tuesday 9:30 a.m.Tap/Pre-ballet/Tumbling ages 2.5-3.5 with Teacher Angela
- Tuesday 10:30 a.m. Tap/Ballet/Tumbling I with Teacher Angela
- Tuesday 3 p.m. Jazz ages 7-10 with Teacher Angela
- Tuesday 5 p.m.Special Needs Creative Movement ages 7-10 with Teacher Olivia
- Tuesday 5 p.m. Preteen/Teen Tap/Jazz Intermediate 11 ages 9-13 with Teachers Angela and Dora
- Wednesday 10:30 a.m.
Tap/Ballet/Tumbling I with Teacher Angela
- Wednesday 5 p.m. Ballet Intermediate I ages 7-10 with Teacher Jordan
View all of our classes here.
NEW CLASS POLICIES
This year we've updated some of our class policies, especially about viewing. Please read our new policies here (and feel free to get in touch with any questions or comments).
The first day of class can be stressful enough without worrying about clothing and shoes! Here are some tips to get your dancers dressed and ready:
If you are buying new shoes, please buy black tap shoes and pink ballet shoes for girls and black dance shoes for boys. For teens, please buy black tap and jazz shoes, pink or nude ballet shoes, and nude character shoes (if needed). If you already have shoes or find some second hand, any color is fine!
We do have some tap and ballet shoes in the shoe bin for you to use on a first come, first served basis. If you find a pair that fits, feel free to take it. If you've outgrown an old pair, we'd love your old shoes back so that another student might benefit from them.
- Discount Dance for flat-rate shipping for shoes and other dance needs. New customers can get 8% off with code TP115042
- Payless on Mission at 22nd (ballet or jazz shoes)
- Chloe's Closet in Bernal (second-hand dance shoes)
- San Francisco Dance Wear on Mission at 3rd (a bit pricer but they have everything)
- Discount Dance also offers clothing. (New customers can get 8% off with code TP115042)
- Target has a dance section
- Sears also offers dance and active wear
- eBay and craigslist are good sources for second-hand dance attire
MOVEMENT OF THE MONTH: RELEVE
Children naturally love to go up on their toes, so sometimes a very simple way to get them excited for dance class is to have them practice rising up at home. Remember not to go all the way up on the toes--simply lift the heels in demi pointe while the toes stay down. Most dance movement comes from opposition, so teach your children to push down into the floor in order to rise up tall. Lifting their bellies up and in and standing up straight will also help them find that dancer's grace.
DANCE IN THE NEWS
Did you know that Olympic gold medalist Laurie Hernandez is joining this coming season of “Dancing with the Stars”? We at Steppin' Out are thrilled we don't have to stop watching her!
PREPARE YOUR CHILD FOR CLASS SUCCESS
Read up on our top five tips for class success (not just for dance class!)
Talk to you dancers about what to expect in class. Whether it's their first time or 7th season, all dancers benefit from being mentally prepared before walking in the door.